Thursday 18 November 2010

Last Trip day on Yahel

Yesterday we went on our final Wednesday trip day. We were told the day before that it would consist of a 'hike' and a surprise. On questioning how serious a hike this would be we were told to wear closed shoes but hiking boots wouldn't be necessary and it would be more of a walk. Following this advice I hopped on the bus at 8:00 yesterday morning wearing rather short denim shorts and plimsolls without laces. Two hours later we arrived at (Ein Boket?) and were taken to our surprise. We were going to be abseiling down a cliff face. At this point I looked down in dismay at what I was wearing. I wasn't entirely convinced how comfortable the oh-so-uncomfortable harness was going to be in shorts and my shoes would definitely not be allowed for abseiling in almost any other country. Nonetheless I strapped on the helmet, stepped into the harness and rather ungracefully I must add, stumbled down the cliff face.



After this we visited Ben-Gurion's grave and learnt about him and the things he achieved in his life. We placed stones on his grave and then went for a hike in the mountains/hills surrounding. This hike however, was not what we had expected in terms of footwear. I could literally feel every stone I stood on! Aside from that it really was a lovely hike. It was only 2/3 hours and wasn't particularly difficult so you had plenty of time to look at and appreciate the surrounding scenery. My geography obsessed boyfriend even gave me a lesson on the way different things had been formed, it was educational to say the least :)




The day itself was really lovely, only slightly tainted but the constant bickering going on between all the girls going to Karmiel. We had the unfortunate and rather uncomfortable (it shouldn't have been but that’s how it turned out) issue of choosing our rooms. Obviously this involved people being upset and a ridiculous amount of drama. The rooms have now been messed around and caused so much bitchiness that I'm slightly concerned about how it will play out in Karmiel but I guess I will just have to see.

This morning has been a packing morning and shortly I’m off to have my final Ulpan lesson on Kibbutz Lotan.

Love to all

S x

No comments:

Post a Comment